Coronavirus (Covid-19) Update

In view of the latest Government advice on the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic and taking cognisance of the age profile of the organisation all Masonic meetings and gatherings (all Branches of the Order) are suspended until Spring 2021 throughout the island of Ireland.

We are in extraordinary times and the health of our members is of paramount importance. We will keep the situation under constant review and keep you advised via the Grand Lodge of Ireland website www.freemason.ie

Warrant’s

Warrant’s Index – Past & Present

Alphabetical Index of all Warrants issued to the Province of Munster

  • Ballincollig 125
  • Bandon 20, 84, 130, 155, 156, 413
  • Bantry 67, 995
  • Blarney 520
  • Castletownsend 27, 167
  • Charleville 49
  • Clonakilty 385
  • Cobh 190, 557, 988
  • Cork 1, 3, 8, 15, 25, 27, 28, 67, 71, 95, 130, 167, 209, 221, 224, 229, 267, 277, 347, 383, 385, 400, 520, 552, 555, 595, 741, 1011
  • Doneraile 44, 742
  • Fermoy 555
  • Kanturk 259
  • Killarney 373
  • Kilworth 22
  • Kinsale 156, 179, 212, 220, 234, 528,
  • Mallow 99, 130, 234, 325
  • Midleton 194
  • Mitchelstown 1
  • Newmarket 130
  • Rosscarbery 522
  • Skibbereen 15, 223, 504
  • Tralee 62, 66, 71, 130, 379, 886
  • Valentia Island 130
  • Waterville 130
  • Youghal 19, 25, 68, 504
  • Militia South Cork (495) & City of Cork (741)

Current Lodges Meeting in the Province of Munster

1 Cork

The First Lodge of Ireland has worked in CORK since time immemorial, certainly prior to 2 February 1726. Two other lodges also held the No. 1 Warrant in the early period – the first was meeting in DUBLIN by 1735 (Smith), but had ceased working before 1744 (Spratt); the other was established at MITCHELSTOWN, Co. Cork, 1 February 1732, and was still at work in 1746, but dormant before 1754.

The First Lodge of Ireland has held the No. 1 warrant since 10 August 1776, and aside from a two-year hiatus – when the warrant was cancelled on 6 July 1826 until it was restored 2 October 1828, it has worked continuously.

3 Cork

There is no record in register of Grand Lodge as to the date of grant of the original No. 3 warrant, but it was probably in existence on 1 February 1732. In 1735, it was meeting in the Bull’s Head Tavern in Ormond Market (Smith, 1735), and by 1744 had changed to Lebeck’s Head Tavern in Dame Street. This number was erased, 5 November 1801.

A new warrant was issued 4 July 1808 to CORK under the title ‘Third Lodge of Ireland’, where it has worked since.

8 Cork

There is no record in the register of Grand Lodge as to the date of grand of the original No. 8 warrant, but it was meeting in the Eagle Tavern on Cork Hill in 1735 (Smith, 1735), and by 1744 had changed to the Plume of Feathers Tavern in Castle Street (Spratt, 1744). This number was erased, 5 November 1801.

A new warrant was issued 9 June 1808 to CORK under the title ‘St Patrick’s Lodge’. The warrant was cancelled 6 July 1826 and restored almost two years later, on 7 February 1828. A duplicate warrant was issued 16 March 1843, it being noted ‘the old one [is] lost’.

In 1997, on the cancelling of ‘St Fin Barre’s Lodge’ No. 209, a compromise was reached in that the title of No. 209 was transferred to the lower number, No. 8, and ‘St Fin Barre’s Lodge No. 8’ was formed when the members united under that title.

15 Skibbereen

This warrant was most likely originally issued in 1732 to GOREY, Co. Wexford, but there is no record of this in the register of Grand Lodge. By 1735, it was meeting in Mr Richard Whiteacre’s in Gorey (Smith, 1735). This number was erased, 5 November 1801.

A new warrant was issued 12 July 1807 to CORK, in lieu of a Seton issue, where it met for ten years before removing to ROSSCARBERY, Co. Cork, 27 December 1817, which was a military station. No. 15 warrant moved to its present location, SKIBBEREEN, on 7 April 1842, where its first record meeting took place, 28 April 1842.

27 Cork

This number was originally issued to CORK, 19 January 1734, and by the following year, was meeting at the Golden Fleece in Blarney Lane (Smith, 1735). A duplicate warrant was issued, 20 December 1750, and the lodge continued in the city until suspended, 3 July 1823.

A new warrant was issued to CASTLETOWNSEND, nr. Skibbereen, Co. Cork, 8 July 1835, in lieu of No. 167. It met in the homes of the Somerville families in the village until the warrant was handed in trust to Grand Lodge, 27 October 1858.

The number was restored, under a new warrant, to DUBLIN, 6 January 1876 under the title ‘Abercorn Lodge’. The new warrant was returned and the lodge continued to work under the old warrant until 1 March 1945, when it was surrendered.

In 1976, the members of Concord Lodge No. 71 CORK handed in their warrant and resurrected this old number under a new warrant entitled ‘Shamrock Lodge No. 27, CORK’, which continues working to this day.

67 Cork

This number was originally issued to CORK, 1 March 1737, where it had a long history of working, despite two suspensions – June to July 1823 and March to August 1872 – before a third suspension of 3 February 1876 led to its being cancelled.

The warrant reissued eight years later to BANTRY, Co. Cork, 1 May 1884, where it worked until 1 October 1936, when transferred by permission of Grand Lodge of Ireland to its original location in the city of CORK, under the title ‘Harmony Lodge’, where it continues to this day.

68 Cork

There is no record of this lodge in Grand Lodge Register, as to where it was first issued, but the date of issue appears to have been either March or 8 June 1737. It was erased from the register, 5 November 1801 and reissued as a military warrant to 7TH BN. ROYAL ARTILLERY, 7 January 1813, until that warrant was returned and filed in 1834.

It was reissued a second time, to YOUGHAL, Co. Cork, 15 January 1835, where it works to this day.

84 Bandon

This number was issued to BANDON, Co. Cork, 29 May 1738, where it worked until 1988, when it removed to its current location at BRINNY, five miles from the town of Bandon.

95 Cork

This number was issued to CASHEL, Co. Tipperary, 1 December 1738 but in 1740 was called in by Provincial Grand Lodge authorities at CORK, and in 1749 it was noted ‘no lodge assembled these nine years’ (Calder, 1749). It was officially transferred to CORK, 24 June 1750, by David Fitzgerald, P.G.D.M. of Munster; in the meantime, Grand Lodge of Ireland issued a duplicate warrant to CASHEL, 24 June 1758, where some 40 members registered between this date and 1764, so that for some years there were two No. 95 meeting (Vide Transactions, Lodge of Research, 1927, 212).

The meeting at CORK was confirmed by Grand Lodge, 1 August 1771. Its warrant was suspended 1 October 1857, and restored 6 May 1858 under the present ‘Hibernian Lodge’ title, which is worked to this day.

190 Cobh

This warrant was issued to DUBLIN, 1 February 1749, under the title ‘Royal Arch Lodge’ where it was worked until cancelled, 1 July 1815.

It was reissued to Ballymacarret, BELFAST, 27 December 1817 (in lieu of 931) under the title ‘Trinity Lodge’, where it worked until cancelled, 6 February 1845.

It was reissued a second time to COBH, Co. Cork, 3 April 1846 under the title ‘Neptune Lodge’, where it has been worked since.

234 Kinsale

This warrant, initially a military one, first issued 8 July 1752 to the 13TH DRAGOONS (later known as the 13th Hussars), who held it until cancelled 1 July 1815.

It was reissued to DROMOHAIRE (i.e. Drumahaire), Co. Leitrim, 1 April 1819, where it was held seven years until cancelled a second time, 6 July 1826.

The warrant was reissued 8 September 1828 to MALLOW, Co. Cork where it was worked almost twenty years until suspended, 1 May 1848.

This number then lay dormant until reissued a third time, 28 May 1877, to KINSALE, Co. Cork, under the title ‘Bezaleel Lodge’, where it has worked since.

555 Cork

This warrant first issued to CARLOW, 5 February 1778, where it ceased to work about 1790.

It was transferred to FERMOY in 1801 by the Provincial Grand Lodge of Munster, which then had this prerogative, although a new warrant issued by Grand Lodge of Ireland, 16 February 1809 is that from which the current lodge reconstitution is erroneously dated in the Calendar of Grand Lodge; a duplicate warrant was issued, 4 April 1822. The warrant was returned, November 1850 and restored sixteen months later, 30 March 1852.

The meeting removed during 1953 to CORK on a trial basis; on 17 February 1954, by permission of Grand Lodge, this move was given permanence, and the lodge has worked in the city ever since.

1011 Cork

Warrant issued to CARNMONEY, Newtownabbey, Co. Antrim, 1 September 1814.

Warrant returned, 29 August 1825, in exchange for 122.

Reconstituted 5 April 2006 as Munster Past Masters, CORK.

 

Former Lodges of the Province of Munster

125 Ballincollig

This warrant was likely issued 8 May 1741 or 29 June 1742, but there is no record in the register of Grand Lodge.
It was erased from the register of Grand Lodge, 5 November 1801 and reissued 7 April 1808 as a military warrant to 5TH GARRISON BATTALION, in lieu of the Seton issue, and had been working at CORK in January and February 1808. The warrant was returned in 1814, as the Battalion was being disbanded.
No 125 was then issued to BALLINCOLLIG, Co. Cork, 4 December 1817, where it worked until cancelled, 7 February 1833.
This number was reissued a final, third time, 20 November 1837, to DUBLIN, under the title of ‘Fidelity Lodge’, where it continues working to this day.
20 Bandon

There is no record of the original granting of this warrant in the register of Grand Lodge, but by 1735, it was meeting in DUBLIN at the Bull’s Head Tavern, Pill Lane (Smith, 1735). By 1763, it was meeting in LONGFORD under a duplicate warrant dated 1 December 1763. On 5 July 1792, a minute of Grand Lodge noted ‘Wt. 20, Longford, which has long lain dormant restored on paying price of a new Warrant’, in sympathy with the Grand East of Ulster, and continued meeting there until 4 May 1815, when this warrant was cancelled.
It was reissued 24 June 1817 to ENNIS, Co. Clare, in lieu of No. 51, and remained there until cancelled 7 July 1825.
It was reissued a third time on 2 July 1826 to BANDON, Co. Cork, in lieu of No. 204, where it met until March 1831, when the warrant was returned and the lodge amalgamated with No. 84. Grand Lodge Minutes note No. 20 warrant was granted for Youghal, but not issued.
The warrant was reissued once more, on 14 June 1833 to SLIGO under the title ‘Light of the West Lodge’, where it remains to this day.

155 Bandon

This warrant was originally issued 4 March 1747 to DUBLIN, returned 2 October 1817 in exchange for No. 100.
It was reissued 27 December 1817 to BANDON, Co. Cork, in lieu of No. 167, where it worked until cancelled, 7 July 1825.
This number was reissued a second time 27 December 1825 to HILLTOWN, Co. Down, in lieu of 933, under the title ‘Independent Loyalist Lodge’, and removed to RATHFRILAND, 6 April 1865, where it meets to this day.
156 Bandon

This warrant was originally issued 4 March or 7 May 1747 to the 19TH FOOT, later known as Green Howards, but the minutes of No. 19, Youghal show 156 in 19th Foot quartered at Kinsale during November 1780. The lodge had obtained local warrant No. 3 from P.G.L Andalusia at Gibraltar and surrendered No. 156 to P.G.L. of Munster, who transferred it to KINSALE, Co. Cork, July 1759, in lieu of No. 528, and then became known as ‘The Boyne Lodge of Kinsale, No. 156’.
This meeting at Kinsale upgraded from PGL recognition, when it received a new warrant from Grand Lodge, dated March 1808.
This lodge removed to BANDON, Co. Cork, 6 November 1817, with a new warrant, where it worked until 6 July 1848, when it was suspended.
It was reissued a third time 7 June 1894 to BELFAST (Crumlin Road) under the title ‘Golden Pillar Lodge’, where it works until this day.

62 Templenoe, nr. Kenmare

There is no record of the original grant of this number in the register of Grand Lodge, but it was probably in November 1736 or February 1737; in either case, it was erased from the register, 5 November 1801.

It was reissued to CITY OF DUBLIN MILITIA, 5 April 1810, and a Grand Lodge minute of 6 October 1814 noted that 62 was ‘to be a resident lodge in the City of Dublin’, while a further minute of 1 May 1817 rejected a memorial of 62 to be a military lodge. The warrant was cancelled, 5 July 1821.

It was reissued to second time to COLOMBO, Sri Lanka, 4 October 1821, under the title ‘St Thomas and St James Lodge’, where it worked until the warrant was sent in during 1855.

The warrant was reissued a third time to TRALEE, Co Kerry, 30 November 1869 under the title ‘Salem Lodge’, where it worked until 1974. It was revived in 1994 and met at Templenoe, Nr. Kenmare, until the warrant was handed back in 2010.

413 Bandon

This warrant was issued 2 February 1764 to BANDON, Co. Cork under the title ‘Catholic Lodge’, where it worked until cancelled 4 February 1836.
It was transferred in 1858, by dispensation, to BUNINYONG, Victoria, Australia and a new warrant issued 7 February 1859. It was removed from the printed report in 1890 and joined Grand Lodge of Victoria during 1892.
This number was reissued 8 October 1914 to BELFAST (Rossetta) under the title ‘Rev. Samuel Cochrane Lodge’, where it works to this day.
995 Bantry

This warrant was issued 7 April 1808 to 8TH GARRISON BATTALION and removed to 1ST GARRISON BATTALION on 3 May 1810. The warrant was returned in 1814.
A new warrant was reissued 7 July 1814 to BANTRY, Co. Cork, where it worked until suspended in July 1823; it was again at work in 1825 until cancelled 7 January 1830. This number has lain dormant since that time.
520 Blarney

This warrant was issued 7 April 1775 to BLARNEY, Co. Cork, but removed to CORK after a number of years. The warrant was smuggled to DUNSE, Scotland, in 1809 and cancelled by order of Grand Lodge; names were registered each year up to and including 1814 by Alexander Seton.
After over a century in dormancy, this number was resurrected for BELFAST (Ballymacarret) on 13 October 1921 under the title ‘Whitehall Lodge’, where it meets to this day.

167 Castletownsend

This warrant was issued 2 September 1747 to CORK, where it met until suspended by Grand Lodge 3 December 1778, as noted in a 1 March 1779 minute of No. 28. It removed to BANDON, July 1805, where it worked until returned in exchange for No. 155 on 27 December 1817.
This number was reissued the same day – 27 December 1817 – to TEMPLEPATRICK, Co. Antrim, in exchange for No. 1019, where it worked until 16 June 1828, when the warrant was returned in exchange for old warrant No. 551.
It was reissued a second time to CASTLETOWNSHEND, Co. Cork, 9 June 1830, and the minutes noted the officers of No. 15, then meeting at Rosscarbery, attended the installation of officers of 167, Castletownshend. This number worked here until 8 July 1835, when it was returned for the lower No. 27.
It was reissued a third time to ATHY, Co. Kildare 25 September 1840, where it still works.

49 Charleville

This number was issued 12 April 1736 to CHARLEVILLE, Co. Cork under the title ‘Emerald Lodge’, where it worked until 1865, when it became dormant. It resumed work in June 1879, and continued until the warrant was returned, 7 March 1901.
The old Charleville warrant was transferred to GREYSTONES, Co. Wicklow, 1 June 1911, where it works under the ‘Emerald Lodge’ title to this day.
385 Clonakilty

This number was issued 7 April 1763 to CORK under the title ‘Boyne Lodge’ and removed to CLONAKILTY, Co Cork, 11 March 1806. The warrant was suspended, 4 May 1848 during the Famine period, and restored three years later, on 5 June 1851. It was again suspended, 3 March 1864 and cancelled the following month, on 7 April.
The warrant was reissued 19 May 1876, and worked until returned, in trust, 3 June 1943, when the meeting was suspended owing to difficulties compounded by wartime restrictions.
557 Cobh

This number was issued to BENBURB, Co. Tyrone, 2 April 1778. It was cancelled, 7 July 1825 and restored after a three-year hiatus, on 5 June 1828, before being cancelled, 6 February 1845.
The warrant was reissued to QUEENSTOWN (now COBH), Co. Cork, 6 January 1863, where it worked for over twenty years, before being sent in, 1 February 1884.
It was reissued for a second time to BELFAST (Rosetta) on 3 March 1923 under the title ‘Fidelity Lodge’, where it works to this day.
988 Cobh

A Grand Lodge minute of April 1807 notes Warrant 988 ordered for MOUNTRATH, Co. Leix, where it was worked from 5 May 1808 by 4TH VETERAN BATTALION until suspended 8 March 1811, as noted in a minute of Provincial Grand Lodge.
It was cancelled 6 April 1815, having been illegally detained at COVE (Cobh), Co. Cork.

24 Blennerville, Co Kerry

This number was probably issued in either June or November 1733 to DUBLIN, but there is no record of this in the register of Grand Lodge. By 1735, it was meeting at the Eagle Tavern on Cork Hill (Smith, 1735). This number was erased, 5 November 1801.
A Grand Lodge minute of 3 August 1809 notes ‘Memorial for No. 24 from Loughbrickland, Co. Down granted to No. 105’.
On 5 October 1809, this warrant was reactivated for BLENNERVILLE, Co. Kerry, where the lodge apparently worked, but as it was not paid for, it was cancelled, 6 January 1814.
The warrant was reissued for a second time to HILLSBOROUGH, Co. Down, 24 June 1817, in lieu of No. 197, and removed to DRUMLOUGH, 1 May 1834, according to a minute of Grand Lodge. A suspension occurred in May 1856, resulting in the warrant being cancelled 7 July 1858 and restored on 5 August 1858. The meeting moved to HILLSBOROUGH, 1 September 1864 and to LURGAN, Co. Armagh, 7 September 1865, under the title ‘Acacia Lodge’, where it works currently.

25 Youghal-Cork-Dublin

There is no record of the grant of this number in Grand Lodge, but the original warrant, dated 30 November 1733, survives. The lodge met in YOUGHAL until 5 November 1801, when this number was erased.
It was reissued 24 November 1809 under the title ‘UNION LODGE’ to CORK, where it met until cancelled 4 July 1823.
Within 3 days, it was exchanged in lieu of No. 250 for the 25TH FOOT (later King’s Own Scottish Borderers), who held it until the warrant was sent in, in trust, October 1839.
It was reissued a third time under the title ‘DUKE OF YORK LODGE’, 4 November 1853, to DUBLIN, where, aside from the period 25 June 1860 – 11 January 1866, it has met continually since.

28 Cork

This number was granted on 27 January 1734 to CORK, where it met until cancelled, 2 July 1818. A Grand Lodge Minute, dated 3 April 1823, complains that this cancelled warrant No. 28 had been removed from CORK to hold a spurious lodge in CASTLETOWNSEND or SKIBBEREEN.

71 Cork

This number was granted on 8 June 1737 to TRALEE, Co. Kerry, and appears to have been the earliest lodge in the town, although an unnumbered warrant for TRALEE, dated 17 March 1731/2 is filed in Grand Lodge. On 24 June 1766, a new warrant was issued, replacing the old one.
The lodge was officially removed to CORK, 7 June 1777, by Robert Davies, P.D.G.M. Munster under the title ‘CONCORD LODGE’, although meeting had been held in the city from 6 December 1775, as testified by the lodge minute book. It continued to meet until 1976, when the warrant was returned, in trust, and a group of the members applied successfully for warrant No. 27.

167 Cork

This number was issued 2 September 1747 to CORK, where aside from a Grand Lodge suspension during 1778, it met until removed in July 1805 to BANDON. Here it continued until 27 December 1817, when the warrant was returned in exchange for No. 155.
The same day, this No. 167 warrant was transferred to TEMPLEPATRICK, Co. Antrim, in lieu of No. 1019, until returned 16 June 1828 for the still lower No. 551.
On 9 June 1830, No. 167 was warranted to CASTLETOWNSEND, Co. Cork, where it met until returned 8 July 1835, in exchange for warrant No. 27.
On 25 September 1840, No. 167 was transferred to ATHY, Co. Kildare, where it still meets.

209 Cork

The number was originally issued 6 June 1750 to DUBLIN, under the title ‘PRINCE OF WALES LODGE’, where it continued to meet until cancelled in December 1835.
It was reissued 6 May 1841 to LONDON, Ontario in Canada under the title ‘ST JOHN’S LODGE’, in the Irish Constitution, until it joined the Grand Lodge of Canada, 13 November 1844 as No. 14. Some member continued to work under the original Irish warrant but finally surrendered to Grand Lodge of Canada, 24 July 1872, being granted a new warrant, No. 209A, whereupon the Irish warrant was returned that same date.
The lodge was re-erected in ST GEORGE’s, Bermuda, 15 August 1881, where it met until suspended, 1 March 1900; restored, 10 October 1905; finally cancelled, 7 October 1909.
This number was reissued a third time to CORK, 7 June 1918, under the title of ‘ST FIN BARRE’S LODGE’, where it met until amalgamated with No. 8 at the end of 1996.

221 Cork

This number was issued 6 March 1751 to DUBLIN, where it met until 2 May 1771, when it was cancelled; on 4 June 1772, it was removed to CORK under a duplicate warrant. The number was cancelled, 2 July 1818. The warrant was registered in 1821, and again cancelled, 5 July 1821.
On 6 December 1821, it was removed to MADDYDUFF (MADDYDOO), Ballymoney, Co. Antrim, where it met until cancelled, 8 October 1847.
On 5 November 1848, it was issued to PEEL, Isle of Man, under the title ‘LODGE OF ST GERMAINS’, until suspended, December 1871.
On 10 June 1897, it was issued to BELFAST, Ballymacarret under the title ‘MCCAMMON LODGE’, where it still meets.

224 Cork

This number was issued 6 November 1751 under title ‘BOYNE LODGE’ to CORK, and while placed on the List of Erased Lodges, 1801, it was still registered in 1807. The warrant was cancelled during 1811.
Since that time, the warrant has been re-issued three times, to DRUMNAGEE, Bushmills, Co. Antrim (1811), removed to BALLYNASTRAID (c.1823); to ST GEORGE’S, Grenada, West Indies, (1848), and most recently, to ST GEORGE’S, Bermuda (1867), under title ‘HANNIBAL LODGE’, where it still meets.

229 Cork

This number was issued 1 April 1752 to BUSHMILLS, Co. Antrim (removed to DERVOCK, 1807), where it met aside from some period suspensions, 1840 – 42 and 1858 – 73 until the warrant was sent in, 6 August 1879.
On 1 March 1883, it was re-issued to CORK, under title ‘PIONEER LODGE’, where it met for just five years until the warrant was sent in, 30 May 1888.
On 9 October 1897, the warrant was re-issued to BELFAST, Arthur Square, under title ‘KINAHAN LODGE’, where it continues to meet.

267 Cork-Cobh

This number was issued 3 March 1756 to CORK, and was noted as meeting at COBH in 1813. The warrant was cancelled, 4 July 1822.
Since that time, it has met at BANAGHER, Co. Offaly (1822-33); SYDNEY, New South Wales (1882-88), and since 6 March 1899 at LISBURN, Co. Antrim, under title ‘ST GEORGE’S LODGE’.

277 Cork

This number was originally issued to the 2ND or GREEN IRISH HORSE regiment on 5 January 1757; it removed to CORK, 31 May 1783, where it worked until cancelled 2 July 1818.
Since that time, the warrant has been issued to BARBADOES, West Indies (1822-41); SYDNEY, New South Wales (1883-85); FORDSBURGH, South Africa (1899); BELFAST (1900-04) and since 9 December 1909, has met at IRVINESTOWN, Co. Fermanagh.

347 Cork

This number was issued 5 June 1760 to CORK, where it met until cancelled, 7 July 1825. Since that time, it has met successively at ALGECIRAS, Spain (1843-58), CARLETON, New Brunswick (1859-68), OATLANDS, Tasmania (1872-85), BIGGENDEN, Queensland, Australia (1901-04) and since 31 March 1913 at BELFAST, Rosetta, under title ‘Abercorn Memorial Lodge’.

383 Cork

This number was issued 7 October 1762 to CORK, where it met until cancelled, 7 October 1813. It was reissued to ISLAND BRIDGE, Dublin, 3 February 1814 until cancelled 1 July 1818. Following a long period of dormancy, it was reissued 3 March 1905 under title ‘UNITY LODGE’ to BELFAST, Arthur Square, where it meets to this day.

400 Cork

This number was issued 7 July 1763 to CORK, where it met until 15 October 1791, when the warrant was transferred by Joseph Rogers Esq., PGM of Munster to 13TH LIGHT DRAGOONS. The warrant was returned, with chest and all the lodge furnishings, 24 July 1849; the jewels were sold to No. 51, Belfast for £3 14s. 0d., which was presented to the Orphan School.
On 12 June 1906, this number was reissued to JOHANNESBURG, South Africa, under title ‘ULSTER LODGE’, where it still meets.

520 Blarney-Cork

This number was issued 7 April 1775 to BLARNEY, Co. Cork, and subsequently removed to the nearby city of CORK. It met there until 1809, when the warrant was smuggled to DUNSE, in Scotland, when it was cancelled by order of Grand Lodge; names were registered each year up to and including 1814 by Alex. Seton.
The warrant was reissued 13 October 1921 to BELFAST, Ballymacarret, under title ‘WHITEHALL LODGE’, where it still meets to this day.

552 Cork

This number was issued 2 February 1778 to CORK, where it met until transferred 4 June 1796 by Dr Coghlan, PGM of Munster, to MONAGHAN MILITIA and after its reduction the warrant was to be held in the town of MONAGHAN. It removed to GLASLOUGH, Co. Monaghan during 1816, where it met until June 1822, when the warrant was returned.
On 3 March 1923, this number was reissued under title ‘Tudor Lodge’ to DUBLIN, where it continues to meet to the present day.

595 Cork

This number was issued 1 November 1781 to ENNISKILLEN, Co. Fermanagh, where it met until the warrant was cancelled in 1835.
On 5 June 1914, the warrant was revived for 5TH ROYAL IRISH LANCERS under title ‘QUIS SEPARABIT LODGE’, until they surrendered it on 2 March 1922.
It was reissued to CORK, 9 December 1924, and continued to meet there until again surrendered during 1996.

741 Cork

This warrant was ordered 4 August 1791 for CARLOW, but was not issued. It was first issued to CITY OF CORK MILITIA on 27 April 1806; the warrant was returned and a duplicate issued to CORK, 24 June 1817, where it met until cancelled, 7 July 1825.
The warrant was revived 11 October 1949 for BELFAST, Mountpottinger where it met until transferred 19 February 1958 under title ‘EAGLE LODGE’ to BALLYMACARRET, where it continues to this day.

44 Doneraile

There is no record of the original grant of this number in the register of Grand Lodge, but it was probably in the period December 1735 to April 1736. It was meeting at DONERAILE, Co. Cork in 1791; a pamphlet by Bro. Samuel Kennedy entitled Memoir of the life of the Hon. Mrs Aldworth, reprinted in 1869 and 1871 from an earlier edition (Cork, 1811), gives Viscount Doneraile as W.M. and Arundel Hill as S.W. of Lodge No. 44. This number was erased from the Grand Lodge Register, 5 November 1801.
It was reissued 5 May 1810 to ARMAGH, where it met until cancelled, 6 February 1845.
It was reissued a second time to CLONMEL, Co. Tipperary, the following day, under title ‘Donoughmore Lodge’, and continues to this day.

742 Doneraile

This number was issued 1 September 1791 to DONERAILE, Co. Cork, where it met until cancelled, 4 July 1822.
It remained dormant until 6 June 1950, when it was reissued to PRETORIA, South Africa under title ‘Pretoria Leinster Lodge’, where it continues to this day.

259 Kanturk

This number was issued to KANTURK, Co. Cork, 23 February 1755, where it met until cancelled, 2 July 1818.
It was reissued 6 June 1822 to BARBADOES, West Indies; no returns appear after 1828, and the warrant was sent in and filed, 25 March 1845.
It was reissued a second time to BELFAST, Arthur Square, 9 March 1883, under title ‘Duke of Leinster Lodge’, where it continues to meet.

373 Killarney

This number was issued 6 August 1761 to KILLARNEY, Co. Kerry. A duplicate warrant issued, 4 July 1816, the old one being defaced. The lodge met in the town for almost a century until cancelled, 5 July 1856.
It was reissued 8 March 1904 to BELFAST, Ballymacarret, under title ‘William Shannon Lodge’, where it currently meets.

22 Kilworth

This number was originally issued to WILLBROOK, Athlone, Co. Westmeath, most likely during 1733, although no record survives. It was meeting at The Plough and Harrow Tavern in Wellbrooke, near Athlone, in 1735 (Smith, 1735), and continued in the area until erased from the register, 5 November 1801.
It was reissued to KILWORTH, Co. Cork, 2 March 1809, where it had a fleeting existence, until cancelled, 1 July 1815.
It was reissued, 24 June 1817 to BELFAST, Arthur Square under title ‘Truth Lodge’, in lieu of No. 57, where it continues to meet.

156 Kinsale

This number was issued on either 4 March or 7 May 1747 to the 19TH FOOT Regiment, later known as Green Howards. The minutes of No. 19 Youghal show No. 156 in 19TH Foot quartered at Kinsale in November 1780. The lodge, having obtained local warrant No. 3 from P.G.L. Andalucia at Gibralter, surrendered No. 156 to P.G.L. of Munster, who transferred it to KINSALE, Co. Cork, July 1779, in lieu of No. 528, and renamed it ‘The Boyne Lodge of Kinsale’. In March 1808, it received a new warrant from Grand Lodge, and continued to meet in Kinsale until removed to BANDON, Co. Cork, 6 November 1817, under a new warrant. It met here until suspended, 6 July 1848.
This number was reissued, 7 June 1894 to BELFAST, Crumlin Road, under title ‘Golden Pillar Lodge’, where it continues to this day.

179 Kinsale

There is no record of the original issue of this number in Grand Lodge Register, but it was issued to KINSALE, Co. Cork, most likely on 6 May or 7 September 1749, and continued there until erased, 5 November 1801.
It was subsequently re-issued four times, to the 12TH Dragoons (1804-17); DUNEANE, Toombridge, Co. Antrim (1817-48); 12TH ROYAL LANCERS (1868-91) and finally to DUBLIN, 6 March 1909, under title ‘Corinthian Lodge’, where it continues to this day.

212 Kinsale

This number was issued 2 August 1750 to KINSALE, Co. Cork, and met in the town until it removed 10 January 1795 to ROYAL DOWNSHIRE MILITIA, who retained it until cancelled, 7 October 1813.
It was subsequently re-issued three times, to GLENAVY, Co. Antrim (1818-45); CASTLETOWN, Isle of Man (1857-88) and finally to DUNDALK, Co. Louth, 8 March 1897, under title ‘Victoria Lodge’, where it continues to this day.

220 Kinsale

This number was originally issued to KILL, Co. Kildare, 2 January 1751, where it met until cancelled, 7 October 1813.
It was re-issued to KINSALE, Co. Cork, 3 March 1814, where it continued until cancelled, 7 February 1833.
Since that time, it has been re-issued twice, to ST GEORGE, Bermuda (1856-61) and to BELEEK, Co. Fermanagh, 10 June 1897, under title ‘Johnston Lodge’; the lodge subsequently transferred to PETTIGO, Co. Donegal, under title ‘Barton Lodge’, and continues there.

528 Kinsale

This number was issued to KINSALE, Co. Cork, 5 October 1775, and was established in the ROYAL IRISH ARTILLERY by the P.G.M. of Munster, Robert Davies, 5 January 1781. The warrant transferred to 27TH REGIMENT OF FOOT (1st Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers), 2 August 1787; a request to transfer to warrant to Dublin in 1790 was refused by GLI, April 1790; the warrant was finally cancelled, 6 July 1815.
Following over a century of dormancy, this number was reissued, 3 March 1922, to BELFAST, Mountpottinger, subsequently transferred in the same city to ROSETTA, under title ‘Ashlar Lodge’, where it currently meets.

99 Mallow

There is no record of the original grant of this number in the register of Grand Lodge, but it was issued probably 27 December 1738 or 7 March 1739; it is unknown where the number was issued, and whether it was worked, and was erased, 5 November 1801.
On 2 July 1807, a minute of Grand Lodge announced this number would be issued to MALLOW, Co. Cork, though in actual fact, it was not issued until 7 April 1808. It worked until 6 April 1848, when it was suspended; restored 1 June 1854, and suspended finally, 2 October 1856.
The number lay dormant until 4 June 1892, when issued to BELTURBET, Co. Cavan, where it continues to this day.

325 Mallow

This number was originally issued 3 May 1759 to CAPPOQUIN, Co. Waterford, where it met until it removed to MALLOW, Co. Cork, 3 February 1803. It met at Mallow until cancelled, 7 July 1825.
This number was then transferred to GIBRALTAR, 7 September 1826; it took the title of ‘Rock Lodge’ in 1844, changing to ‘Calpe Lodge’ in 1863, and continues to this day.

194 Midleton

This number was issued 5 April 1749 to MIDLETON, Co. Cork, where it met for some years before becoming dormant; it was revived to WATERFORD city, 30 March 1790, where it met until cancelled, 7 August 1817.
The warrant was re-issued 5 March 1818 to CASTLEWELLAN, Co. Down (in lieu of No. 987); it was meeting at NEWCASTLE in 1832, where it remained until the warrant was returned, 19 June 1845.
The warrant was re-issued a second time to BUCKNAW (Buckna), Ballymena, Co. Antrim, 10 February 1852, and still meets there.

522 Rosscarbery

This number was issued 7 April 1775 to ROSSCARBERY, Co. Cork; this was a military garrison, so it is not surprising it transferred to 4TH FOOT, 8 December 1785, by permission of the PGM of Munster, Robert Davies. This regiment subsequently became known as the KING’S OWN ROYAL REGIMENT (LANCASTER), and had a duplicate warrant issued, 5 March 1801, ‘the letter from Bro. Davies, PGM of Munster, to revive the lodge, being lost on the continent’; the warrant was returned by the regiment from Barbados on 13 September 1823.
After almost a century of dormancy, this number was reissued, 13 October 1921, to KILLYBEGS, Co. Donegal (although not constituted until 19 April 1923, in view of the unsettled period), under the title ‘Victory Lodge’, and continues there to this day.

223 Skibbereen

There is no record of the original grant of this number in the register of Grand Lodge, but it was likely in March/August 1751, and was issued to SKIBBEREEN, Co. Cork; it did not survive long in the town, as the Cork Evening Post of 26 August 1773 noted ‘Warrant 223 Skibbereen has been cancelled … having long since fallen into decay’.
The warrant has since been re-issued on four occasions, to PORTGLENONE, Co. Antrim (1809-25); LEMINEAGH, Ballintoy, Co. Antrim (1828-45); CASTRIES, St Lucia, West Indies (1847-58); and finally to MONAGHAN (1870), where it still meets.

504 Skibbereen-Youghal

This number was originally issued 5 August 1773, to SKIBBEREEN, Co. Cork, under the title ‘Carberry Lodge’, where it met until 1807; an endorsement on the original warrant notes its transfer to YOUGHAL, Co. Cork on 12 December of that year. It met there until cancelled, 7 August 1851.
The warrant was reissued 12 March 1921 to DUBLIN, under title ‘Runic Lodge’, where it meets to this day.

66 Tralee

There is no record on the register of Grand Lodge as to the original grant of this number, but it was likely on 1 February or 1 March 1737; the number was erased, 5 November 1801.
It was reissued to the KERRY MILITIA, 5 April 1810; it was meeting at TRALEE, Co. Kerry by 1817 and was granted leave to be rendered permanent as a civil lodge, 4 June 1829.
The lodge amalgamated with lodge No. 379 in the town, in February 1856 and the warrant was returned, 13 November that same year.
This number was reissued 7 December 1867 to HILLSBOROUGH, Co. Down, under title ‘Star of Kilwarlin Lodge’, and continues there to this day.

71 Tralee-Cork

This number was issued 8 June 1737 to TRALEE, Co. Kerry; an un-numbered warrant for TRALEE, dated 17 March 1731/2 is filed in Grand Lodge. On 24 June 1766, a new warrant was issued, in exchange for the old one.
The lodge removed to CORK, 7 June 1777, by permission of Robert Davies, PDGM of Munster, under title ‘Concord Lodge’, where it met until the warrant was returned in trust, in 1976; its Royal Arch Chapter continues to meet at CORK. The member of No. 27 then applied for the lower No. 27, which was consecrated at CORK in October 1976.

379 Tralee

This number was originally issued 4 February 1762 to DUBLIN, but was cancelled the following year.
It was reissued 5 October 1809 to TERGERVILL, Maghera, Co. Londonderry, moving to MAGHERA in 1818 and TURGARVIL in 1820, where it met until cancelled, 7 July 1825.
The warrant was reissued a second time to TRALEE, Co. Kerry, 15 May 1829, where it met until the warrant was sent in, 20 July 1882 and the members amalgamated with Lodge No. 62 meeting in the town.
It was finally reissued to CROSSGAR, Co. Down, 6 June 1904, where it still continues.

886 Tralee

This number was reissued 5 June 1800 to TRALEE, Co. Kerry, where it had a brief existence until cancelled, 6 July 1815.

19 Youghal

This number was originally issued 10 October 1733 to YOUGHAL, Co. Cork, where it was meeting at the Royal Billiard Table Tavern by 1735 (Smith). A Grand Lodge minute of 5 January 1815 and 1 June 1815 noted ‘on paying arrears, Warrant 19 restored to some members of 504’, and it continued in the town until cancelled, 7 January 1830.
It was subsequently reissued to BALLYCASTLE, Co. Antrim (1830-90) and subsequently to the 88TH FOOT (later 1st Bn. Connaught Rangers), 12 March 1907; on the disbanding of the regiment it took the title ‘Emerald Isle Lodge’ and transferred to AMBALA, India, 4 March 1920; to DEHRA DOON, 1 February 1921, and to LAHORE, Pakistan, 5 April 1922. In more recent decades, following political unrest in Pakistan, it meets in DUBLIN.

25 Youghal

There is no record as to the original grant of this warrant, but the original document is still extant, dated 30 November 1733, and was granted to YOUGHAL, Co. Cork. It met there until erased, 5 November 1801.
This number was reissued to CORK, 24 November 1809 under title ‘Union Lodge’, where it met until cancelled, 4 July 1823.
It was reissued 3 days later, 7 July 1823, to 25TH FOOT (later King’s Own Scottish Borderers) in lieu of No. 250, who held it until the warrant was sent in, in trust, in October 1839.
It was reissued a third time to DUBLIN, 4 November 1853, under title ‘Duke of York Lodge’, where it still meets.

495 South Cork Militia

This number was originally issued to MOHILL, Co. Leitrim, 2 July 1772, and was established 14 October 1794 in the SOUTH CORK MILITIA by the PGM of Munster; it removed to RATHCORMAC, near Fermoy, Co. Cork during 1815, where it met until cancelled, 7 January 1830.
The warrant returned to MOHILL, Co. Leitrim on 7 March 1890, almost a century after it left the town, under title ‘Harmony Lodge’, where it still meets.